Software by John F. McGowan, Ph.D.
- DCTune: Perceptual Optimization of JPEG Images (and Perceptual Error Metric)
DCTune is a program developed for the United States National Aeronautics and Space
Administration (NASA) that perceptually optimizes JPEG image compression. This is
done by calculating perceptually optimized JPEG quantization matrices using a model
of the human visual system. DCTune also incorporates a perceptual error metric.
This program is a 32 bit Windows Console Application to calculate the Peak Signal
to Noise Ratio (PSNR) for two input images in Portable Pixmap (PPM) or Portable Graymap (PGM)
file format. PSNR is a measure of the similarity between two images and is widely used
to measure the noise or distortion introduced by image processing, image
compression such as JPEG, and transmission errors. PSNR is also widely used
as a proxy for image quality.
- A RIFF and AVI multimedia file tracer for 32 bit Windows (Windows 95/98/NT).
- Iterated Function System
- A simple program to generate fractal images for Windows 95/98/NT
Iterated Function System Parameter Files:
- Geoff Davis's Wavelet Image Construction Kit (ported to Windows by John F. McGowan)
- NEWSCAN - A Perl Network News Scanner (Unix Shell Archive in Four Parts)
- Image Processing in Java
Send Mail to John
Back to John's Home Page
© 2008, by John F. McGowan